While designing web sites it is important to keep in the mind the platform, popularly used web browsers and of course the users. One more important element of website design is search engines compatibility, since eventually the search engines will index the site to present it to the users in a search. How much the search engines give importance to your website depends a lot on the how the website is designed.
These tips will help web designers to justify what is stated above.
1) Use colors carefully such that they are brand appropriate or do justice to whatever the site is providing. This applies to the text, text fonts, background and the content provided.
2) Use tag lines, which highlight the essential features of the site and catch the attention of the readers, since visitors do not read the text fully. Set your content in proper paragraphs and columns for increased readability and appearance.
3) Avoid Flash and client side scripts on main pages. Do not use FRAMES since search engines find it difficult to index pages using the above technologies.
4) Use high-resolution graphics which are light in weight for faster downloading. The images should add to the content and help in describing the sites resources and services. The images should be appropriately placed on the web pages. Use alt text to describe the images properly for photo optimization.
5) For search engine optimization use descriptive title and meat tags since the search engine use these to some extent to index and rank your website.
6) Avoid using gate away or doorway pages which lead to the main page this is spamming and your website may be banned by major search engines. Do not resort to cloaking and over use of keywords.
7) Most important do not copy content from other websites to avoid facing duplicate content penalty. This was the practice widely resorted to earlier. It is wiser to have a content writer in the web development team.