OPTIONS | SETTINGS | COMPRESSSION | CREATE DEFAULT
GENERAL | (ok now that we’re there, here’s what U do next)
But 1st -> realize that everything U set on the default profile will occur everytime U rar files. So if U only need a password occasionally, or other special settings, then create another profile for those purposes. U can change which profile U need to use when WinRar is open. The Default profile is used otherwise, such as when using WinRar from the context menus in explorer.
- Archive format RAR
- Compression method BEST
- size (enter in BYTES the size you want as the max single Rar file). I use 51,200,000 (50,000 KB x 1024). But chose yer max size as U wish.
- Update method ADD AND REPLACE FILES
- Archiving options: check > PUT RECOVERY RECORD
- Archiving options: check > TEST ARCHIVED FILES.
- Archiving options: check > DELETE FILES AFTER ARCHIVING ( unless U want yer HDD to fill up with the rars & the original files for some reason)
- Archiving options: do NOT check > Put authenticy verification, as this can be a source of Error Messages being generated upon extraction.
- Archiving options: check > Create SFX ONLY if U don’t expect the person getting the filez to have WinRar. Otherwise leave it UNCHECKED.
- Archiving options: do NOT check > Create Solid Archive. This can cause problems in certain cases.
- Archiving options: do NOT check > Lock Arhive. This has NOTHING to do with a password.
Recovery Record -> U can leave it at 1%. Only set it higher if U expect the rar files to have a high risk of corruption. (very bad internet connections, or use on floppy disks, etc)
All else can be left alone. Don’t bother with the Compression button.
File Paths -> STORE RELATIVE PATHS. (unless U have a specific folder U want the files to be extracted to. Such as c:program filesNo Name Appzlink catcher).
The rest leave alone
No need to change anything.
Files to Process -> OF ANY TIME
Whatever comment U enter there will be shown on the right hand pane when WinRar opens yer Rar files. Think of something fun, catchy,interesting. I always mention that the files have recovery record set, so if they are corrupted in transfer, the person knows to use REPAIR function.
Click OK, U have now created yer default profile.