Learn how to Switch to Windows basic search tool from the Windows XP Search Companion.
As you probably know, the Windows XP Search Companion provides users with a lot of bells and whistles designed to make searching for files on hard drives much easier. But sometimes all of these extra features just get in the way. That mean if your system is a mid range PC, extra feature will take extra resource, hence slowing the search.
Lets quickly Switch to Windows basic search tool
- Open the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > CabinetState.
- Go to Edit New String Value.
- Name the new value Use Search Asst.
- Double-click the new value, type no in the Value Data text box, and click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor, and restart the system.
- To switch back to the Search Companion, just go back to the Registry Editor, and change the Value Data to yes.
This is how you can Switch to Windows basic search tool in XP.