This reg file automatically ends tasks and timeouts that prevent programs from shutting down and clears the Paging File on Exit.
1. Copy the following (everything in the box) into notepad.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management]
2. Save the file as shutdown.reg
3. Double click the file to import into your registry.
NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a “malicious” script, this is normal if you have “Script Safe” or similar technology enabled.
By default, Windows XP keeps a backup of system files in the System Volume Information folder. This can eat up valuable space on your hard drive. If you don’t want Windows to back up your system files:
• Open the Control Panel.
• Double-click on System.
• Click the System Restore tab.
• Check “Turn off System Restore on all drives”.
• Hit Apply.
• You may now delete the System Volume Information folder.
Warning! If you turn this off you will not be able to use Windows System Restore to restore your system in case of failure.